Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The local stores

I want to support the local stores. I really do.

I understand that my neighborhood would suck if there were only chain stores, or no stores.

But why can't the local stores behave like businesses instead of like someone's weird hobby?

I ordered a captain's bed from a local store on Dec 17. They said it would be ready in five days. OK, I know there were holidays. But I didn't get it until Jan. 3, and that was after they promised to deliver Dec. 31 and Jan. 2 but didn't.

I ordered business cards and postcards from the local copy shop. The sign in the window clearly says, "NEXT DAY BUSINESS CARDS." I ordered these business cards Dec. 21. They're still not ready.

I brought a TV into a local store that allegedly fixes TVs. (I know, I know, why even go down that road in this day and age??? I get what I deserve.) I brought it in Dec. 28. I stopped in a week later. They couldn't even tell me if they were going to be able to repair it, no less what it would cost.

I went on the Web site for my local bookstore - now granted this was a few months ago, but still. It clearly said that you could email them a list of books you wanted, they would order the books and tell you when they arrived. I emailed my list. No one ever called. Two weeks later, I called them. Oh, they said, they no longer do that. It hadn't worked out, and they didn't have time to take the offer down from the Web site.

Ladies and gentlemen, these are the things that drive me to order stuff from Amazon. Really, can you blame me? I love my local stores, I want to support them, but they don't really seem to want my business.

1 comment:

  1. 1) Never, ever assume that a small shop's web site is up-to-date unless they have a reputation for keeping it that way. I used to help a local business keep their web site updated, and it's usually done after the shop closes, after the accounts are done for the day, after dinner, after checking when the distributor is visiting again, after doing stock re-orders, just before bed. Yes, it gets shoved off. What they *ought* to do is have a more minimal web site that encourages people to either visit in person or call, but small businesses are afraid they have to look like big businesses or they'll lose out.

    2) Small business owners tend to be in the business they're in because they love it, not because they're good at estimating, or matching turnaround times to the bottom line. Sometimes you sort of have to talk them through it, and make it clear (albeit in a friendly way) that if something isn't done by a certain time, they'll lose your custom. Don't be surprised if they thank you for it, so long as you don't seem judgmental or arrogant. Most small business owners I know praise customers they call "straightforward".

    Bottom line is, you have to change the way you behave as a customer.

    ReplyDelete