Sunday, April 12, 2009

The College Tour

This week I am on a college tour for my son, a junior in high school.

Since I never went on a college tour, I'm kind of excited about it. When I went to college, I applied to one school, got in, and never visited until I showed up to move into my dorm. It worked out just fine.

So it could be fun to see different campuses and see how things have changed.

On the other hand, it's a drag. It's expensive. It's a time-sucker. And you can bet my 11-year-old will not really have a good time, but we had to drag him along, poor thing.

A bunch of parents have told me sometimes you get to a college and your kid won't even get out of the car because he can tell just by sitting in the parking lot that he doesn't want to go there.

I hope that doesn't happen to us.

3 comments:

  1. HI Beth,
    Love your comments on college search. As well as advice on writing a book. I am working on a parenting book and have seen your book. A great new contribution!
    Please see my blog. Best. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,

    I just read your piece about seeing the Northern Lights in Alaska with your 10-year-old son, and I absolutely loved it! I hope to see more of your stuff!
    -Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found the college search also could make a great family vacation.. We visited the Stanford Art Museum, the Bowdoin Art Museum, the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, and the Harvard Museum of Natural History...and best yet -- university museums tend to be free or half the price of similar necessarily money-making museums.

    ReplyDelete