Sunday, February 8, 2009

Do my children hate me?

Someone asked at my reading last week if my children hate me for writing this book.

They claim not to.

My older son says he trusts me not to have embarrassed him; his friends think it's cool; and he reminded me that when I first got my advance, I went to the Nintendo store, stood on line for two hours and bought him and his brother a Wii. :)

Also - I gave them nicknames in the book. Not that it's foolproof, but it is different than using their names. And I tried hard to write the book from my perspective, and not pretend to know what is going on in their heads.

Finally - sadly, 21st century kids just don't think books are that important. TV shows, maybe, movies maybe. But not books. And who can blame them, given the rate at which books are remaindered. It makes me sad, since books are so very important to me. But I see why they feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment